Academic Intervention Paraprofessional
5 – 7 (depending on education level)
184 / 10
Curriculum and Instruction
This is a grant-funded position for three years, and there is no guarantee it will continue after the 2023-24 school year.
The Academic Intervention Paraprofessional shall work in classrooms to provide direct instructional support to students while completing other tasks that support the learning environment.
Overarching supervision of the Academic Intervention Paraprofessional is led by the Directors of Elementary Education and Secondary Education; however, the paraprofessional is under the daily supervision of the school principal.
- Possess an Associate’s Degree or two years (60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours) of college or successful completion of the Georgia Paraprofessional Assessment Certification Test
- Be able to obtain or already possess a valid Paraprofessional Certificate
- Be able to work well with adults and students
- Be well organized and have good time management skills
- Be able to perform tasks involving light/moderate lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling and must be able to walk and/or stand for extended periods of time
- Have good vision, hearing, and verbal communication skills, which are essential factors in performing required tasks, duties, and responsibilities
- Maintain paraprofessional license as required by the Professional Standards Commission
- Report to work regularly and promptly.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Work with individual and/or small groups of students to provide intervention or enrichment activities assigned by the teacher
- Assist the teacher in implementing special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on the needs of individual students
- Assist the teacher in implementing and documenting special strategies to address instructional and behavioral needs of individual students
- Tutor students during the school day as directed
- Alert the teacher to any problem or special information about students
- Assist in accurately reviewing student responses on assignments without assigning or recording grades
- Assist with the preparation of materials for instruction, including, for example, the creation of learning centers and manipulatives
- Assist in the ordering and inventorying of classroom equipment and materials
- Participate in training workshops as required by the school and the school system
- Maintain confidentiality of all school information concerning students, staff and school business
- Attend faculty meetings and other meetings as required
- Demonstrate positive working relationships with others
Pay for Paraprofessionals
GRADE 5 = paraprofessional assessment test w/ HS diploma
GRADE 6 = Associates Degree / 60+ semester hours or 90+ quarter hours
GRADE 7 = Bachelor’s Degree or higher