The job of Custodian is done for the purpose/s of providing custodial services at assigned site; ensuring an attractive, sanitary, and safe environment for students, staff, and visitors; performing a variety of special cleaning operations; and assisting in preparing facilities for classroom activities and campus events.
• Assists with site cleanup with occasional ice and snow removal for the purpose of ensuring safe access to district buildings.
• Attends unit meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc. (new equipment orientation, safety requirements and procedures, etc.) for the purpose of gathering information required to perform job functions.
• Cleans assigned facilities and/or grounds (classrooms, offices, gym, restrooms, pools, grounds, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe, and attractive environment.
• Informs students and other site personnel for the purpose of providing information and direction regarding activities, safety issues, and/or proper maintenance of facilities and equipment.
• Monitor facilities and grounds (doors, gates, alarms, lights, etc.) for the purpose of minimizing property damage, equipment loss, and/or potential liability.
• Performs daily and scheduled housekeeping duties (strip/wax floors, moves furniture, painting, etc.) for the purpose of completing and/or maintaining assigned areas to the prescribed standard of cleanliness according to identified procedures.
• Performs detailed maintenance (strip/wax floors, moves furniture, etc.) for the purpose of completing and/or facilitating construction.
• Prepares site for daily operations (inspecting grounds, sweeping walkway, inspecting hallways and bathrooms, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring facilities are operational and hazard free.
• Replenishes classroom and rest room supplies (paper towels, soap, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring adequate quantities for daily use.
• Responds to inquiries from staff, students, and/or visitors (special event preparation, damage to grounds and restrooms, etc.) for the purpose of providing information, taking appropriate action, and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
• Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (facility damage, vandalism, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action or notifying appropriate personnel for resolution.
• Supports other site maintenance staff (grounds, classrooms, restrooms, etc.) for the purpose of completing site custodial activities. Marginal Functions
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
• Skills-based Competencies Required to perform multiple tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating equipment used in industrial maintenance including electrical cleaning equipment, common tools, etc.; adhering to safety practices; handling hazardous materials; inspecting buildings and/or grounds; inspecting equipment.
• Knowledge-based Competencies Required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percentages, and/or ratios; read and follow instructions; and understand multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: methods of industrial cleaning; safety practices and procedures; health standards and hazards; job-related equipment; school safety and security practices.
• Ability-based Competencies Required to schedule activities and/or meetings; collate data; and use job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing specific, defined processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with specific, job-related data; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. Problem solving with data requires following prescribed guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; communicating with diverse groups; meeting deadlines and schedules; working as part of a team; working with constant interruptions; applying material handling techniques; communicating with persons of diverse backgrounds; organizing tasks; and working with frequent interruptions.
High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred
Valid Georgia driver’s license preferred
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following require the following physical demands: significant lifting (up to 50 pounds), carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. Job may require exposure to outside weather conditions.
Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 50% walking, and 45% standing.
Valid Georgia driver’s license preferred
Cleaning procedures/equipment operation training or certification
Safety training or certification for handling hazardous materials
Criminal Justice Fingerprint
Fair Labor Standards Act
Salary $18,833.90 - $34,797.29 / Per Year