The Software Development Manager is responsible for delivering results for our customers by setting clear goals for their teams, collaborating with partners, managing relationships, and expectations. This role will be managing DevOps teams that will be responsible for development as well as operational excellence in both non-production and production environments.
What you'll do in your role.
Leadership of Team Members
- Responsible for planning, leading, organizing, executing and motivating Agile DevOps teams to achieve a high level of performance and quality in delivering software solutions that provide exceptional business value
- Responsible for leading cross functional teams to achieve project objectives, regularly report on status, and manage projects through the entire lifecycle.
- Manage scope, schedule, quality, risks and issues. The DevOps Manager is responsible for managing several concurrent high visibility projects using agile methods in a fast-paced environment.
- Work with stakeholders to define clear project objectives and requirements, agree on priorities, communicate progress updates and demonstrations, resolve issues and conflicts, and provide responsive change management.
- Build and maintain operational excellence measured by KPIs, by controlling and reviewing changes going to production, finding efficiencies, process improvement, and ensuring sufficient telemetry, monitoring, and alerting for potential issues.
- Manage the transformation to a DevOps model within Agile Framework.
- Operationalize Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipelines for systems within the team’s scope
- Maintain accurate capacity plan to balance capacity, cost, and utilization of all sprint teams
- Manage budgets and produce financial reports to ensure teams stay within budget
- Act as a change agent, initiating appropriate changes to support agile maturity and operational excellence.
- Guide technologists to make sound decisions that support company priorities.
- Manages technical relationships with assigned vendors, including driving features and function requests for inclusion in future product releases.
- Interviews and hires qualified team members, striving to improve T-Mobile bench strength and augmenting product or project teams with contract staff when required.
- Supports team in creating training and career development plans and ensures assignments with increasing levels of responsibility are given to staff.
- ESTABLISH TRUST: Establish and promote high-level of trust among team members.
- SET PERFORMANCE DIRECTION: Translate broader business initiatives into clear team objectives and concrete individual goals, aligning appropriately with other groups for efficient, coordinated action.
- MOTIVATE OTHERS: Create a team environment where everyone wants to do their best and deliver results
- DELEGATE: Broadly sharing responsibility and accountability of both routine and important tasks and decisions. Let direct reports finish their own work.
- DEVELOP AND COACH OTHERS: Have awareness of each person's career goals; hold development discussions; and provide challenging tasks and assignments to promote development
- HOLD PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE: Monitor progress and results; give feedback effectively and make tough decisions when appropriate.
The experience you'll bring.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related discipline
- 8+ years project management experience, working with cross functional teams
- 8+ years managing teams of more than 10 preferably in a DevOps model.
- Solid understanding of and demonstrated hands-on experience in using Agile Project Management tools such as Jira.
- Solid understanding of DevOps and CI/CD methodologies.
- Experience managing and scaling agile teams and delivering software using agile methodology and ceremonies
- Proven ability to apply expert level experience to perform checks of team deliverables and solution design for quality, operational readiness, potential impacts to other processes and systems, and proper use of DevOps principles
- Able to analyze problems with a flexible and creative approach, manage complex tasks and adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
- Proven experience with identifying and resolving development impacting issues, working with cross-functional teams with diverse technical skill sets and business SME's/executives to drive to solutions within defined processes.
- Extremely strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), attention to detail, and with the ability to assess and clearly communicate business value and technical and delivery risk
- Able to learn complex business operations quickly, work in a fast-paced, ambiguous, team-driven environment
- Must be able to multi-task, manage details, keep calm during excitement, and keep sight of overall objectives.
- Experience with development, release/deployment, change management, knowledge management, and operations
- Proven experience in building, leading, mentoring and managing teams
- Able to build and leverage strong relationships. Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with a diverse group of staff members, stakeholders, and customers.
- Sets uncompromisingly high standards of performance for self and subordinates
- Display a strong work ethic and sense of urgency. Demonstrates strong initiative to make things happen.
- Proven ability to lead dispersed and remote teams, including off-shore resources.
- Able to monitor and forecast budget (actual versus planned) to ensure teams stay within budget
We highly value:
- SAFe/Agile certification (ex: SAFe Agilist, SAFe for Scrum Master, PMP-ACP, or Kanban certification)
- 8+ years of experience in managing medium to large teams and hands-on Agile Project Manager/Scrum Master experience performing backlog management, work specification, Scrum facilitation, Kanban, lessons learned.
- Familiarity with Software Development Life Cycle
- Software development experience in the past
- Familiarity with Systems Integrations using API and Webservices
- Familiarity with UI Development such as Angular, Node JS, etc
- Familiarity with modern development tools in cloud platforms/automation tools/technologies such as: REST, API first, Java Spring Boot, Jenkins, Gitlab, Artifactory, Maven, JMeter, Docker, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, AWS, Kubernetes, SonarQube, Splunk, AppDynamics, etc.
- Familiarity with IdP such as Okta, Azure AD, OneLogin, etc
- Familiarity with IGA such as Sailpoint, Savient, etc.,
- Solid understanding of and demonstrated hands-on experience with Microsoft Project, Visio, Office Suite and SharePoint.
- Passion for protecting customer experience
- Self-starting, hardworking and inquisitive individuals
- Leadership through innovation in everything you do
- Passion for what you do and being self-critical to improve
- Relentless commitment to win
- Personal and corporate integrity