Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
School Nurse Extender
Executive Director of HR/Student Services
Open Until Filled
NATURE OF WORK:
The employee identifies and treats health disorders among students and provides instruction in the maintenance of good health and disease prevention. The employee must evaluate the physical condition of students and refer students to appropriate resources as needed. Decisions made by this employee require discretionary judgment and analysis. Errors may not be easily discernible and may result in serious impact on the individual child and others. The work of this employee is seldom reviewed while in progress and is performed under the supervision of a certified school nurse.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Considerable knowledge of medical disorders and treatment
- Considerable knowledge of child growth and development
- Working knowledge of public health problems and procedures for treatment in coordination with other health and social service agencies
- Working knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations affecting the delivery of school health services
- Some knowledge of the school organization and the community served
- Ability to identify abnormal growth and development and symptoms of disease
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate services between the school, local health agency, and other community resources
- Ability to develop and maintain health records on students
- Ability to develop positive working relationships
- Ability to utilize technology resources (i.e. email, word processing, spreadsheets, student data
- Must demonstrate attention to detail, professional attitude, and ability to maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
Completion of training necessary for licensing as a Licensed Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse.
Experience in pediatrics and/or public health nursing preferred.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 months
SALARY: Pay Grade 64
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Promotes student health and well-being under the supervision of a certified school nurse.
- Monitors compliance of school health program with federal, state and local laws, regulations and policies.
- Collaborates with school nurses as well as health department and primary care providers to trace and track Covid-19 exposures, symptoms, and follow up contacts.
- Recommends program changes as needed.
- Prepares health reports or data for supervisor.
- Collaborates with other child-support agencies providing a school health program.
- Provides first aid care and medically prescribed services.
- Maintains security of school health supplies.
- Serves as a resource person on health issues.
- Provides staff development on health-related topics for school staff and volunteers.
- Screens and conducts health appraisals for students.
- Provides follow-up evaluations on students as required.
- Recommends corrective action where problems are identified.
- Conducts home visits when appropriate.
- Corresponds with parents on health needs of children.
- Records immunizations, health findings, and other relevant health data.
- Ability to be physically active, which includes, but is not limited to, standing, pushing, pulling, squatting, bending, sitting, and walking, including repetitive motions.
- Ability to stand in excess of 6 hours.
- Ability to lift 15-30 pounds routinely and 30-100 pounds occasionally.
- Must be able to facilitate the evacuation of students during emergency situations and/or drills.
- Must be able to visually, auditorily, and physically monitor student performance and conduct.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Onslow County Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities.
I have read and understand the requirements for the position of School Nurse. I am able to perform all essential functions of this position.
Printed Name Date
Education | Nursing