The Sr. Whole Business Development Manager position will report directly to the Director of the team. The Wholesale Business Development team is responsible for world-class business development and partnership management services to enable rapid innovation and growth for T-Mobile’s Wholesale business, which consists of Internet of Things (IoT), and Machine to Machine (M2M) segments. Wholesale is a quick-moving, entrepreneurial, and rapidly growing part of T-Mobile’s overall business.
The Business Development Manager will serve as the external face of T-Mobile to a mix of strategic partners across the Wholesale business including channel partners and aggregators, entrepreneurs and start-ups. This person will drive the development of partnerships and related product/service strategies vital to T-Mobile’s business. They will foster innovation and growth across a range of mobile industry sectors; build effective strategic relationships; drive the channel, customer and overall strategy of the Wholesale business; and structure and execute strategic partnerships. This leader will be responsible for managing the forecast process and delivering against the business plan and forecast.
What you'll do in your role.
As such, the Sr Business Development Manager will receive visibility within T-Mobile as well as with our key external partners, and as such can drive extremely meaningful business impact and results.
- Prioritize and execute the Wholesale portfolio strategy, leveraging key partners and commercial relationships. Manage and drive the complete life cycle of complex strategic partnerships: a) structure complex strategic partnerships, b) develop key economic, business, and operational models, c) negotiate win-win commercial terms, d) drive and execute detailed contracts with support from the Legal team, e) develop and manage successful long term relationships via mutually-agreed account plans and targets, and f) manage the partnership evolution over time. Establish repeatable processes to prioritize and close new opportunities as well as to grow existing relationships.
- Lead the business to deliver against annual and multi-year business plan, including owning the monthly and annual forecast process and the successful delivery of Revenue, Customers, and other key metrics. Establish and maintain key internal partnerships with finance and analysis teams.
- Build strong and trusting relationships with key players in the mobile industry and in related sectors – both in established and emerging segments. Work equally well with small and large firms and be equally effective at many levels within these companies, including C-level executives.
- Create new business opportunities and partners: a) identify and analyze complex market/business opportunities, b) evaluate key players and technologies, c) assess customer and market opportunities, d) develop differentiated product/service strategies, e) create potential economic/financial/business models, f) make T-Mobile recommendations, and g) develop business relationships to create new strategic partners.
- Develop deep domain expertise in relevant sectors vital to T-Mobile’s Wholesale strategy.
- Also responsible for other duties/projects as assigned by leadership
The experience you'll bring.
- Exceptionally strong strategic, industry, and financial/economic analysis skills. Solid Excel financial modeling skills
- Experience leading business case modeling for complex >$100M/year deals
- Ability to analyze and model market data for development of specific strategies, goals and tactics
- Sound technical foundation – understanding of key wireless and internet technologies, and understanding of wireless telecom network and OSS/BSS technologies
- Keen and broad business acumen – understanding of a wide range of business models
- Strong cross-functional experience with engineering, operations, finance, product development, marketing, and other business groups
- 10+ years of business development, alliance management, and/or strategic sales experience with financial/economic analysis preferably in wholesale focused wireless, high-tech (software, internet/new media, entertainment/content, etc.) or consumer electronics industries, or with wireless industry OEMs
- Experience managing a large portfolio of external partners (30-50 major partners), with direct accountability for P&L and/or partner revenue for $500M/year+ business
- Experience in negotiating complete complex contracts/exhibits, RFP and RFI responses, co-marketing agreements, and related documentation and collaboration
- Ability to lead in a complex matrixed environment without direct authority (aka “lead via influence”) and successfully lead and coach junior team members to execute with excellence and strong results
- Experience as analyst or engagement manager for top tier management consulting firm
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including CEO-level PowerPoint presentation
- Ability to manage multiple term sheet and contracting processes, leveraging internal and external counsel
- Expert presentation and public speaking skills
- Results-orientation, strong accountability
- Strong executive presence