Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area.
For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
The position hours are 11:00pm-7:00am with weekend shifts included.
General Description of the Job Class
Perform a variety of technical tasks involved in operating radiographic equipment and making radiographs of designated anatomical areas of interest.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Perform a variety of tasks involved in operating x-ray equipment to make radiographs of designated anatomical areas of interest. Adjust equipment for proper radiographic exposure techniques in accordance with radiation safety guidelines.
- Explain x-ray procedures to patients.
- Position patients for each anatomical view using positioning assistance devices and protective equipment as necessary.
- Monitor accessory equipment and assist the physician with fluoroscopic procedures and special radiographic procedures.
- Accurately process images for optimal quality. Match with appropriate paperwork for interpretation.
- Charge radiographic procedures in; able to modify orders per protocol. Demonstrate acceptable film quality standards by critiquing positioning, technical factors, and collimation.
- Understands and uses the Image Archival System
- Provide education and training to DUHS affiliated radiology technology programs.
- Provide orientation to new technologists.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work herein
**DUHS offers career growth and enrichment within imaging services. There is a clinical ladder program with various steps and opportunities at each hospital within the health system.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Completion of an AMA approved School of Radiology Technology
Must obtain ARRT certification within one year of employment.
Minimum of two years' experience as a diagnostic radiology technologist.
A minimum of 4 years' experience within specialty modality in which they are seeking promotion
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.