Excited to grow your career?
MUSC offers many career opportunities and options for professional growth. If you see a position that fits your experience and skills, we encourage you to apply!
Join the team that is Changing What's Possible.
EntityMedical University of South Carolina (MUSC - Univ)
DepartmentCC001079 UNIV | CON Office Of Academic Affairs
Pay Rate TypeSalary
Scheduled Weekly Hours20
Job Description SummaryThis is a part-time temporary position as a clinical instructor needed for Spring 2023 in support of our Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing course. The candidate must have demonstrated psychiatric and mental health nursing clinical expertise. The candidate I expected to provide leadership in teaching clinical nursing through mentoring, guiding and remediating student clinical and simulation performance.
Rank: N/A this is a temporary and non-tenure track position.
Formal Accountability: Reports to the Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Practice Programs, the Lead Faculty for the Accelerated Bachelors in Science of Nursing (ABSN) program, and the clinical course coordinator.
Additional Job Description
- Teaching, supervision, and mentoring of ABSN students in hospital, primary care, community, and other non-traditional settings in which behavioral health care is provided.
- Teaching, supervising, and evaluating students in simulation settings at the College of Nursing (CON) and MUSC simulation laboratories.
- Implementing innovative teaching strategies to foster student development of clinical practice, clinical judgement, and critical thinking competencies.
- Coordinating weekly pre- and post- conferences lessons to align with and reinforce didactic content.
- Serve as a role model for: the role of the nurse as a member of the healthcare team; compassionate communication with patients and families; professional behavior; professional appearance; effective interpersonal and transdisciplinary communication; and lifelong learning.
- Providing constructive, substantive and supportive feedback to students weekly, mid-term, and final student evaluations and submitting these to the course coordinator
- Communicating student progression issues/concerns as they arise with the course coordinator
- Grading clinical paperwork
- Attending course and program meetings
- Adhering to MUSC and College of Nursing policies
- Maintaining proficiency as an educator.
Minimum Qualifications: Earned Master’s degree in nursing. Expertise in psychiatric and mental health nursing. Effective interpersonal communication. Unencumbered, active license as a registered nurse in South Carolina. Current Basic Life Support certification through American Heart Association, American Red Cross, or the Military Training Network. Recent (2-3 years) experience of actual patient care and/or supervision of students in clinical settings.
Preferred Qualifications: The preferred candidate will have a doctoral degree in nursing or a related field, or be enrolled in a doctoral program; certification in Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing through ANCC; experience teaching clinical nursing skills, clinical judgment, critical thinking, and therapeutic communication skills; and experience using D2L Brightspace as a learning management system.
If you like working with energetic enthusiastic individuals, you will enjoy your career with us!
The Medical University of South Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MUSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, age, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by state laws and/or federal regulations. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment based upon applicable qualifications, merit and business need.
Medical University of South Carolina participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees