Pre-K Teacher Assistant
Principal/Supervisor and Classroom Teachers
Open Until Filled
NATURE OF WORK:
Under general supervision assists teachers and therapists in daily classroom activities with the care and education of children who could potentially present with mental, physical, and emotional disabilities in a safe environment. Essential functions are fundamental job duties. They do not include marginal tasks which are also performed but are incidental the primary functions. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position, nor does every position allocated to the class necessarily perform every duty listed. Personal characteristics required of all employees such as honesty, industry, sobriety, and the ability to get along with others, are presumed qualities and may not be listed specifically.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must have a qualifying letter from the North Carolina Division of Health and Human Services.
- Working knowledge of the North Carolina Child Care Rules
- Working knowledge of The North Carolina Early Learning Foundations.
- Working knowledge of Early Childhood Objectives.
- Knowledge of the school organization and its community.
- Knowledge of effective methods for classroom management to include Social and Emotional Foundations of Early Learning for the Preschool classroom.
- Ability to operate a variety of technology.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other school personnel.
- Ability to maintain composure in difficult situations
- Ability to solve independently most minor problems.
- Ability to follow minimally detailed written and oral instructions without constant supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student information.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education required
- Minimum 2.5 GPA required
- ETTP course completion and dated certificate must be obtained within the first school year of employment (to register for ETTP, contact ETTP@onslow.k12.nc.us)
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 months
SALARY: Pay Grade TA 56
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Follows all rules, policies, and procedures of OCS, along with state and federal regulations pertaining to school issues.
- Gives group instruction as prescribed by teacher.
- Demonstrates various instructional activities.
- Prepares visual aids and instructional materials.
- Assesses student work as instructed by teacher.
- Assists in recording student behavior, progress, and other related data.
- Constantly monitors the safety and well-being of students in all areas of the school environment.
- Distributes and collects instructional materials.
- Assists students with digital age learning in the classroom.
- Encourages and supports academic growth of students.
- Models and promotes high level of ethical and appropriate behavior.
- Assists with the needs of all students to include exceptional students.
- Serves as school bus monitor and assists students entering and exiting the school bus.
- Performs other related duties, as required or assigned by supervisor.
- Ability to be physically active, which includes, but is not limited to, standing, pushing, pulling, squatting, bending, sitting, and walking, including repetitive motions.
- Ability to stand in excess of 6 hours.
- Ability to work with children at eye level in their natural learning environment.
- Must be able to facilitate the evacuation of students during emergency situations and/or drills.
- Ability to lift 15-30 pounds routinely and 30-100 pounds occasionally.
- Must be able to visually, auditorily, and physically monitor student performance and conduct.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Onslow County Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities.
I have read and understand the requirements for the position of PreK Teacher Assistant. I am able to perform all essential functions of this position.
Employee Name (please print)