TITLE: Special Education Teaching Assistant (Paraprofessional) w/ABA
TYPE OF POSITION: Full-Time (1.0); 2020-2021 school year; salary $24.94-$27.56/hour, per collective bargaining agreement and commensurate with experience
LOCATION: Marathon, Elmwood, and/or Hopkins School; Hopkinton, Massachusetts
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: All qualified candidates
NOTE: More than one vacancy may be filled from this vacancy announcement. Paraprofessional may be required to work the Extended School Year (ESY) program.
It is the primary responsibility of all Paraprofessionals to provide social-emotional, behavioral, and instructional support and interventions to all students in all settings. The Special Education Paraprofessional (Teaching Assistant) with ABA also assists the Classroom and/or Special Education Teacher, the Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA), and other professional staff, when needed, using Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), and other appropriate methodologies, to support students with a variety of disabilities. Paraprofessionals in this position will support students in working to decrease maladaptive behaviors that prevent the student from accessing the curriculum and developing his/her full potential. The Special Education Paraprofessional w/ABA reports to the Principal and Director of Student Services, with overall guidance provided by the BCBA, the Learning Specialist(s), and the classroom teacher(s).
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provides overall support to student(s) and the classroom teacher(s), based on the needs of the classroom and the students’ Individual Education Program (IEP) and 504 Plans, if applicable;
- Provides monitoring of student behavior as indicated on the student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) and Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP);
- Provides discrete trial instruction to identified students and maintains appropriate documentation on outcomes of discrete trials and extensive behavior analysis data and graphing, when appropriate;
- Recognizes when teaching/learning and behavioral strategies are not successful and seeks the guidance of the classroom teacher(s) and specialist(s) to adapt assistance accordingly;
- Incorporates knowledge of student learning styles, child development, skills/knowledge acquisition rates of the student(s) to whom assigned, to assist student learning. Observes and records academic, behavioral and social data to measure progress;
- Provides support in crisis situations using district-approved safety/restraint protocol when necessary;
- Provides verbal support, prompting, redirection and modeling in helping the student(s) access the activities of the curriculum;
- If required, provides direct assistance to students to manage personal care;
- Assists with conducting student assessments as directed by classroom teacher(s) or Behavior Analyst;
- Other duties, as required.
To be considered qualified for the position of Special Education Teaching Assistant w/ABA, candidates must have:
- Associate's Degree, or successful completion of the ParaPro exam;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, to children and adults;
- Experience with, and willingness to provide direct assistance to students to manage personal care to improve daily life skills;
- Training and/or applicable experience in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) required. Certification as a Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) strongly preferred;
- Licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education in a related field, while not required, considered a plus;
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent may find appropriate.
To be considered for this vacancy, please reference only job vacancy #20-100 and your last name (as, #20-100 Jones) in the subject line, and submit:
- Cover letter;
- Resume, which should contain applicable license/certification information;
- The contact information for three professional references;
- Documentation of successful ABA training; and
- College transcripts and/or certification of successful completion of the ParaPro exam.
Submit the above required information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: this address is for application materials only. E-mail is our preferred method of application, however, if you wish to apply by mail, please send the required items to:
Human Resources (Job Vacancy #20-100)Hopkinton Public Schools89 Hayden RoweHopkinton, MA 01748
Incomplete submissions are unable to be considered.
The Hopkinton Public School System does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, genetic information, or disability in admission to, access to, employment in, or treatment in its programs and activities. The Hopkinton Public School district is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workplace. The school system’s educational philosophy and personnel goals, including the goal of equal employment opportunity, will be considered in filling all positions.