Job no: 545529
Entity: MUSC Physicians Primary Care Physicians
Department: Bu/Primary Care
Sub Department: PCP70-000-DPT/Primary Care Admin
Work type: Full-Time
Employee Type: MUSCP - Staff
Location: Charleston, SC, Telework
Categories: Allied Health & Laboratory Services
Pay scale: MUSCP-G08: $29,550.14 - $36,937.89 (min - mid)
Entity/Organization: MUSC Physicians (MUSCPPC)
Hours per week: 40
Scheduled Work Hours/Shift: Flexible hours; (4) 10-hour days or Monday- Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
Pay Basis/FLSA: Hourly/Non-Exempt
Job Summary/Purpose: The In-basket clinical coordinator will report to the In-basket Lead. Under general supervision, the In-basket clinical coordinator will be the first line of contact. A single in-basket for this team pool fields all requests from physicians and patients for primary care. Items such as patient advise request, result notes, refill encounters, prior authorizations, refill errors, and all other items. The CMA working the team pool, allows them to handle these items for primary care to the top level of their licensure. This position has the ability to be a hybrid role.
Minimum Training and Education: High School diploma or equivalent. Completion of an accredited medical assisting program with one year of patient experience preferred.
Degree of Supervision: The In-basket clinical coordinator will report to the In-basket Lead. Under general supervision.
Required Licensure, Certifications, Registrations: Must be certified through American Medical Technologist (AMT), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), National Healthcareer Association (NHA), Medical Career Assessments (MedCA), Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA), or National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT). Current BLS required.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains and reviews patient records, charts and any other pertinent information, communicating as appropriate. Document test and exam results. Communicates plan of care to the patient including formal development of patient education materials as necessary.
- Responds to and triages phone calls. Call in orders appropriately as ordered by physician. Instructs patient, as ordered by the physician, regarding treatment and/or medication.
- Confers with physicians regarding need, urgency, and appropriateness of messages in the in-basket. Assesses and reviews physician orders to assist with refills, patient calls, prior authorizations, and other duties as assigned.
- Documents all patient care activities in the electronic medical record to include disposition of patient telephone calls, medication list, etc. Generates ancillary requests updates medicines as needed in EMR (electronic medical record).
- Participates in performance improvement /research activities designed to improve patient care, and/or organizational processes.
- May be asked to assist with front and clinical areas in the absence of other staff.
Physical Requirements: Continuous requirements are to perform job functions while standing, walking and sitting. Ability to bend at the waist, kneel, climb stairs, reach in all directions, fully use both hands and legs, possess good finger dexterity, perform repetitive motions with hands/wrists/elbows and shoulders, reach in all directions. Ability to be qualified physically for respirator use, initially and as required. Maintain 20/40 vision corrected, see and recognize objects close at hand and at a distance, work in a latex safe environment and work indoors. Frequently lift, lower, push and pull and/or carry objects weighing 50 lbs (+/-) unassisted, exert up to 50 lbs of force, lift from 36” to overhead 25 lbs. Infrequently work in dusty areas and confined/cramped spaces.