Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Job Title: Respiratory Care Assistant, Neonatal/Pediatric
Job Code: 4613
Job Level: C2
Revised Date: 04/01/2020
Supervisory Responsibility: No
~ Printer-Friendly Version ~
General Description of the Job Class
Perform diagnostic and therapeutic clinical procedures as defined in the Respiratory Care Services scope of clinical practice. Work performed in accordance with physician orders and under supervision of a Registered Respiratory Therapist.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Verify physician orders for appropriateness and accuracy.
- Understand pharmacological indications, dosages and response to adverse drug reactions.
- Consults with providers based on patient care assessments and in accordance to accepted protocols. Provides education to patients, families, physicians, nursing and other members of the health care team.
- Monitors response to all therapy. Documents in the patient medical record. Communicates all pertinent clinical information during patient rounds and handoff.
- Perform diagnostic cardiopulmonary procedures; inclusive of nasotracheal and artificial airway suctioning and samples, arterial blood gas punctures, pulse oximetry and EtCO2 monitoring, pulmonary function and bedside pulmonary mechanics, and EKG’s.
- Recognizes life threatening situations and initiates appropriate response, perform CPR and bag- mask ventilation
- Assure correct set-up, safety and function of all equipment/ supplies necessary in the provision of patient care.
- Assure adherence to all infectious disease standards in the delivery of all patient care procedures.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Maintains all necessary safety and life support certifications per required.
- Can provide the following therapy:
- Oxygen Supply Systems
- Equipment Processing
- Manual Resuscitation
- Oxygen administration
- Humidity and Aerosol Therapy
- Small Volume Nebulizer
- MDI Administration
- Incentive Spirometry
- Airway Clearance Therapy
- Arterial Puncture
- ECG (if performed by hiring institute)
- Patient reporting
Required Qualifications at this Level
Active enrollment in a 2 year approved respiratory care program (Associates Degree or the equivalent) and is in good standing.
None required beyond clinical affiliation of the respiratory program.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
The student RCP must register with the Board before providing Respiratory Care procedures as a Respiratory Care Assistant and will receive an approval letter from the Board. The student RCP will provide a copy of the approval letter to the employer.
Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) and any other certifications applicable to the institution.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge necessary to make appropriate clinical decisions and interactions relative to the specific age of a patient.
- Skills validation/certifications of competencies for the duties and responsibilities of this level.
- Must maintain annual skill requirements.
- Must maintain annual safety/compliance requirements.
- Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for CEU's Customer service and communication expertise.
- Work involves contact with patients of all ages, family members, physicians, nursing, and all other members of the health care team.
- Work is performed in all areas of Duke University Health System, at applicable hiring location.
- Work may require lifting or pushing in excess of 30 pounds.
- Work requires walking, climbing and bending.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Essential Physical Job Functions
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.