· Perform a variety of duties as a care taker of the Duke University Golf Club grounds. This includes safely operating and maintaining the golf course maintenance equipment in accordance with your established schedules, within your job description and by the instruction assigned by you supervisor.
· Be responsible for understanding OSHA Safety Rules and comply with the Duke University Employee Work Rules and Policies.
· Maintain and improve lines of communication with your supervisors and fellow workers.
· Work as a team member but at the same time provide team leadership on your various maintenance duty assignments.
· Develop expertise through training on numerous pieces of equipment. Within your everyday work you will inspect and operate golf course mechanical and power driven equipment to include power mowers rotary and reel, utility vehicle, backhoe, front end loader, top dresser, roto-tiller, spray rigs, and irrigation equipment.
· Operate light equipment as required to maintain golf course grounds in a tournament ready condition.
· Perform preventative maintenance on all equipment, as needed or directed, to include cleaning, changing oil, lubricating and painting the golf course equipment.
· Learn and utilize our required “maintenance checklist” prior to operating any equipment especially to include checking of oil and gas levels prior to turning on the engine.
· After thorough training, you will be able to apply herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, and fertilizer to the grounds in accordance with your supervisors’ instruction and/or established schedules.
· Perform other Golf Course related duties incidental to the work described herein as assigned by the Administrative Head Golf Course Superintendent and/or the Associate Golf Course Superintendents.
· Position reports directly to the Administrative Head Golf Course Superintendent and/or the Associate Golf Course Superintendents.
· Job performance will be evaluated by the Administrative Head Golf Course Superintendent and the Associate Golf Course Superintendents.
TWO KEYS TO OUR SUCCESS
1. Establish and maintain a clean and safe environment in which to work.
2. Establish excellent job-related communication and maintain this communication on a daily basis with our fellow workers, our team leaders, the Associate Head Superintendent and the Administrative Head Golf Course Superintendent
Required Qualifications at this Level
Work requires an educational background normally equivalent a high school with course work in skilled crafts or trades training.
Work requires 1 year experience in maintaining grounds and landscape to acquire knowledge in the operation and maintenance of grounds and landscape equipment.
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
JD - reposted 2/3/2022
JD - updated 5/4/2022
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.