English Teacher (2021 - 2022 SY)
Glen Allen, VA, US
HCPS - Holman Middle School
Henrico County Public Schools is one of the six largest county public school divisions in Virginia with a nationally recognized educational program. Henrico County is a suburban community surrounding the city of Richmond, VA. We are 104 miles from the Atlantic Ocean to the east; 94 miles from the scenic Sky Line Drive to the west; 106 miles from Washington, D.C. to the north; and 75 miles from the North Carolina border to the south.
Henrico County Public Schools, an innnovative leader in educational excellence, will actively engage our students in diverse learning experiences that inspire and empower them to becoome contributing citizens.
General Statement of Duties
Use and evaluate instructional materials and resources, including technology, that support the curriculum of Middle School English.
- Humanizes instruction by planning a program of study that meets the individual needs of students
- Secures and prepares instructional materials in advance and shows written evidence of preparation
- Plans purposeful assignments for student teachers, aides, and substitute teachers
- Assists in the evaluation, selection, and requisition of books, equipment, audio-visuals, and other supplementary materials
- Demonstrates a knowledge of subject matter
- Diagnoses and develops plans for the learning problems of students appropriate to the level of achievement
- Refers students to specialists when deficiencies are detected or suspected
- Implements all curriculum programs adopted systemwide in a positive and efficient manner
- Participates in curriculum development appropriate to assignment
- Establishes clear objectives for all learning experiences and communicates these objectives to students
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively with students
- Makes use of a variety of resources, materials, and methods in an effort to improve the effectiveness of instruction
- Speaks clearly using fluent and appropriate language in well-modulated tones
- Evaluates pupil accomplishments on a regular basis
- Exhibits interest in what is being taught and in the needs of the student
- Confers with colleagues, students, and or parents on a regular basis
- Promptly and accurately handles routine matters involving reports, records and moneys
- Takes all necessary precautions to protect and to maintain facilities, equipment, and materials
- Returns materials to their assigned place or designated personnel promptly after use
- Emphasizes and enforces safety factors within the classroom, building, and throughout school property
- As an extension of classroom management responsibilities supervises students throughout the school as assigned, or as circumstances require
- Maintains a disciplined atmosphere appropriate to the teaching environment
- Maintains a practice of good housekeeping for self and students to improve the learning environment
- Establishes reasonable classroom rules with consistent enforcement occurring in a positive way
- Cooperates with administrative and supervisory staff in the evaluation process
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relations with co-workers relative to school matters
- Bachelor's degree and a valid teaching license with an endorsement in Middle School English are required.
- Applicants with relevant college course work and passing Praxis test scores will be considered
Minimum Starting Annual Salary:
- B.S. $48,032.80
- M.S $50,338.49
How To Apply
To be considered for this vacancy, you should upload three (3) written references, your college transcripts (unofficial copies will suffice at this point), and a copy of your teaching license onto our online application platform located at henricoschools.us/careers/.
Henrico County Public Schools
Department of Human Resources
P. O. Box 23120
3820 Nine Mile Road
Henrico, VA 23223
The School Board of Henrico County is committed to nondiscrimination with regard to sex (including pregnancy), gender, race, color, national origin, disability, religion, ancestry, age, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law (except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification), in employment or in its programs and activities.
Amount of Travel
Work At Home