Middle School Secretary
Provide support to the school principal by performing the organizational, clerical and management duties of the office.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Proficient in business English, spelling, mathematics and office practices.
- Ability to work professionally with the public and others, both in person and over the phone.
- Excellent computer skills including but not limited to Word, Excel, Microsoft Office and office machine proficiency.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Provide daily administrative support by performing a variety of secretarial/clerical functions in a fast-paced environment.
- Effectively communicate with supervisor to ensure that attention is given to pertinent matters.
- Follow instructions and operate within the limits of standard practices and procedures.
- Assist in maintaining efficient office operations by providing clerical relief as needed.
- Interact effectively with the general public, staff members, students, teachers, parents and administrators in stressful situations.
- Competency in the use of technology based resources including computers, faxes, printers, productivity software, such as Internet use, word processers, spreadsheets, email, as well as understanding the concepts of data management and system security.
- Maintains a system to handle pending items of business to ensure accurate completion and follow through on assignments.
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of all office machines and equipment to promote efficiency.
- Compose correspondence, memos, reports, budgets, handbooks and other materials as needed.
- Record, route or distribute written and oral correspondence to appropriate personnel.
- Schedule parent conferences and other meetings as requested.
- Maintain data, statistics and other information with regard to employees and students as required.
- Document and process employee and student attendance records as required.
- Maintain schedule and make arrangements for facility use.
- Inventory and requests office supplies and materials necessary for daily operations.
- Places orders for the procurement of needed materials and equipment as directed.
- Possess and maintain valid and appropriate license, certificate and/or credential as may be required for this position.
- Follow work scheduling and attendance requirements in a regular, predictable and punctual manner.
- Participate in training programs to improve skills and proficiency related to the assignment.
- Review current developments, literature and technical source information related to job responsibility.
- Ensure adherence to good safety procedures.
- Follow federal and state laws, as well as State and local Board policies including those related to the confidentiality of student and personnel records, standardized test material and other information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Job descriptions are designed and intended only to summarize the essential duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and requirements for the purpose of clarifying the general nature and scope of a position’s role as part of the overall organization. Job descriptions do not list all tasks an employee might be expected to perform, and they do not limit the right of the employer/supervisor to assign additional tasks or otherwise to modify duties to be performed – even if seemingly unrelated to the basic job. Every employee has a duty to perform all assigned tasks. (An employee who is assigned a duty or task believed to be unlawful should report the assignment to the Director of Human Resources.) It should also be noted the order of duties/ responsibilities as listed in the job description is not designed or intended to rank the duties in any order of importance relative to each other.
In filling a vacant position, preferred or required credentials regarding education, training, experience, and other bona fide occupational qualifications may be established. The credentials shown in this job description may be interpreted only as the minimum criteria existing at the time the description was developed. Other bona fide occupational qualifications and criteria may be utilized as needed in the selection process.