PURPOSE OF JOB: To be responsible for the successful planning, supervision, operation, and evaluation of all functions of the Exceptional Education Department of the Kansas City Public Schools (KCPS).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following.
- Administer the operations of the Exceptional Education Department of the Kansas City Public Schools.
- Plan, implement, coordinate, and evaluate all Exceptional Education Programs in the KCPS. Monitor the overall success of the Exceptional Education students.
- Assure compliance with all federal and state laws requiring the education of Exceptional Education students.
- Plan, implement, coordinate, and evaluate all curriculum and instructional programs for the thirteen categories of Exceptional Education.
- Plan, implement, coordinate, and evaluate all curriculum and instruction for the Gifted/Talented Education Program in the District.
- Supervise Special Education, Student Records, and the KCPS Psychological Services Testing for Special Education.
- Coordinate the evaluation, diagnosis, and placement of all children referred to Exceptional Education and identify the most appropriate educational services.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the instructional division to assure the delivery of appropriate services to Exceptional Education students residing in the KCPS.
- Maintain all Operations and Compliance for the KCPS Exceptional Education Department. Prepare an annual Exceptional Education Compliance Report for the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Division of Special Education.
- Provide ongoing staff development to Exceptional Education staff, regular education teachers, principals, and parents regarding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and KCPS compliance with IDEA.
- Communicate with and prepare written responses to DESE, Division of Special Education regarding any child complaints made against KCPS.
- Resolve to DESE’s satisfaction any child complaint made against KCPS.
- Serve as Chairperson and Collaborate with DESE, Parents, and Attorneys on any Due Process Hearings and litigation against KCPS.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Yes
- Master’s degree in Special Education and/or related field.
- Hold or be eligible for Missouri Certification in Special Education.
- Hold or be eligible for Missouri Administrative Certification in Special Education.
- Three (3) years supervisory experience at Central Office level.
- Minimum of five (5) years of teaching experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job requires that the employee be able to: sit, stand, walk, speak, hear, use hands, fingers, reach with hands and fingers; bend, stoop, lift objects of at least ten pounds. The job requires the employee occasionally to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Visual ability requires mono and color vision, close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Length of work year: 12 months (7.5 hours per day/5 days per week)
Benefits: Health and Dental Insurance are provided.
KCPS Defined Benefit Pension plan – mandatory 9% contribution is required from employees and matched by KCPS; Voluntary retirement savings plans are also available.