School Nutrition Assistant
School Nutrition Director
Open Until Filled
NATURE OF WORK:
An employee in this class is a combination as needed employee as: cook specialist as a main dish cook, baker, and dessert cook or salad chef, or cashier. The employee prepares food by standardized recipes and specified quantities. Problems that arise that cannot be solved by choosing action to take from several alternatives are referred to the supervisor. Errors can result in spoiled food and possible illness in the consumer. Financial accountability is established using computer based software. The employee receives supervision by the dining facility manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Working knowledge of food preparation and serving practices
- Working knowledge of safety and sanitation standards
- Skill in the use of food preparation equipment
- Ability to make computations necessary for conversion of recipe quantities and timely food preparation
- Ability to plan sequence of steps in food preparation
- Ability to read and comprehend recipes and directions for use of equipment
- Ability to follow computer based training instructions
- Working knowledge of basic arithmetic
- Ability to inventory and record information accurately
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships
- Ability to operate automated cash collection point of service
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- High school diploma or GED and experience in quantity food preparation
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 months (4 hours daily)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Reads recipes and directions for numbers of meals to be served.
- Calculates amount of ingredients for number of portions to be served.
- Measures and mixes ingredients.
- Computes time to be used in preparing and finishing products on time.
- Proportions product into prescribed serving size.
- Arranges food and supplies to retain sanitation and quality.
- Notifies manager of equipment repairs needed.
- Records material and supplies needed.
- Ability to lift and carry 10-25 pounds on a regular basis and up to 50 pounds on occasion
- Ability to stand for excess of 3 hours
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks to include mopping, stooping, standing, lifting, and data entry
- Must be able to facilitate the evacuation of students during emergency situations and/or drills
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Onslow County Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities.