Learns to assists in the preparation and cooking of various food items prior to being considered a qualified, skilled cook. Maintains food safety and sanitation standards in the preparation and kitchen areas.
- Learns to read menu to estimate food requirements. Orders food from supplier or procures it from storage.
- Prepares and cooks food in accordance with company production records and standardized recipes.
- Learns to adjust thermostat controls to regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, roasters and steam kettles.
- Helps measure and mix ingredients according to recipes using a variety of kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Bakes, roasts, broils and steam meats, fish, vegetables and other foods under guidance. Adds seasoning to food during mixing or cooking under the instruction of others.
- Tests food by tasting, smelling and piercing to determine that it is cooked.
- Carves meat, portions food on serving plates, and adds gravies, sauces and garnishes to fill orders as directed.
- Washes, peels, cuts and shreds fruits and vegetables and fruits.
- Butchers chicken, fish and shellfish as directed.
- Bakes bread, rolls, cakes and pastry as course of instruction permits.
- Maintains work station
FLIK Dining Services, which is contracted to provide services for Berkshire School, is looking to hire for the positions listed below. There are both Full-Time and Part-Time opportunities available. Please note, that these are positions with FLIK and not with Berkshire School.
Interested parties should contact Shawn Burdick, Director of Food Services, at 413-229-1216, or firstname.lastname@example.org.