Excited to grow your career?
MUSC offers many career opportunities and options for professional growth. If you see a position that fits your experience and skills, we encourage you to apply!
Join the team that is Changing What's Possible.
EntityMUSC Community Physicians (MCP)
DepartmentCC001880 MUHA | MCP - Columbia Orthopedics
Pay Rate TypeSalary
Scheduled Weekly Hours40
Job Description SummaryMUSC Health Columbia is actively recruiting an Advanced Practice Provider for our Neurological Surgery practice located on the Northeast Columbia campus. We are seeking an experienced provider for hospital based and office-based support, to serve as first assist in the operating room, provide pre-and post-op care, and support the neurosurgeon in all aspects of care. Offering competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits
Job Summary/ Purpose: MUSC Health Columbia is actively recruiting an Advanced Practice Provider for our Neurological Surgery practice located on the Northeast Columbia campus. We are seeking an experienced provider for hospital based and office-based support, to serve as first assist in the operating room, provide pre-and post-op care, and support the neurosurgeon in all aspects of care. Offering competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits.
Fair Labor Standards Act Status: Salaried/Exempt
Hours per week: 40
Scheduled Work Hours/Shift: Monday- Friday 8AM-5PM, hours may vary slightly depending on MD’s schedule.
Patient Population Focus
Inpatient, Outpatient, Operating Room/First Assist, Procedural Unit, Emergency Department Management/Consultation.
Patient Population Age Range
Required Minimum Training and Experience Training
Completion of an accredited Physician Assistant program and currently licensed or eligible for licensure as a Physician Assistant or completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program and currently licensed or eligible for licensure as an APRN as noted below.
APRN License Type/Certification: AGPNP/ANP (Adult Gerontology Primary Care NP or Adult NP): Adult pts (13 years to death), stable chronic disease state management or primary care setting.
Required Experience: Seeking experienced APP with previous neurosurgery, ortho spine, or surgical experience
Preferred Training: Physician Assistant or if APRN License Type/Certification:
AGACNP/ACNP (Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP/Acute Care Nurse Practitioner): Adult pts (13 years to death), acutely ill or injured, potentially unstable, or technologically dependent (vents, drips, monitors, etc.)
Preferred Experience: Experienced APP with previous neurosurgery, ortho spine, or surgical experience
Degree of Supervision
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant will be assigned a Primary Supervising/Collaborating Physician employed by MUSC and will report directly to this physician.
Required Licensure, Certifications, Registrations: All certifications must be current and complete prior to start date:
- RNFA certification required for Nurse Practitioners
- Basic Life Support (BLS).
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) required for Adult Surgery
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) required for Pediatric Surgery
- DHEC and DEA license applications must be started prior to first day.
Job Duties (list job tasks)
Provides direct care to patients through the following activities:
- Takes comprehensive history and performs physical examinations
- Evaluates and treats on the basis of history, physical examination, radiological, laboratory, and other diagnostic test results pursuant to the practice agreement or scope of practice guideline
- First or second assistant in the operating room. Assist with use of monitoring devices.
- Initiates referrals to other health care provides, and/or consults with the attending physician or the collaborating physician
- Documents and bills for direct care provided
- Utilizes current research and evidence-based decision-making in all clinical practice
- Performs and participates in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research
- Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization
- Demonstrates responsibility for professional practice through active participation in professional organizations and continuing education
- Potential to precept students at MUSC enrolled as an advanced practice provider student; and facilitates the learning of other new team members
- APRN or PA must maintain licenses, certifications, CNEs/CMEs, etc. as required by applicable policies and state law
- Initiate appropriate emergency care in the inpatient and outpatient setting until the arrival of the supervising physician.
- Manage discharge of patients with appropriate disposition, follow-up planning, adjunctive therapy management and education.
- Make assessment of emergency conditions and, in conjunction with attending physician, implement management.
- Provide pre-and post-operative patient education to patients and their families.
- Communicate with referring or primary care physicians regarding patient care and treatment.
- Provide follow-up and health maintenance care including the appropriate adjustment of medications in accordance with established protocols or in response to specific instructions from the Attending Physician.
Additional Job Description
In Columbia you can enjoy living in a city rich in history, arts, academia, championship athletics, outdoor activity, and nationally-ranked hubs of culture. Come experience the Southern hospitality of welcome smiles from strangers and palate pleasing plates, all located within an hour from one of the country's most prestigious golf courses, as well as the mountains and the ocean for easy day-trip escapes.
Find serenity on the scenic grounds of The University of South Carolina, or take advantage of the resources of one of the other twelve higher education institutions in the area. For younger students, there is a wide range of public, magnet, and private schools available throughout the region.
Immerse yourself in history in the lushly landscaped Capitol grounds and look for the bronze stars on the exterior brick of the Statehouse where General Sherman’s cannonballs struck in The Civil War.
Columbia is also nationally recognized for its cultural centers. The Columbia Museum of Art, awarded the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, has hosted exhibits of Salvador Dali, Georgia O'Keefe, Andy Warhol, Norman Rockwell, Henri Matisse and more all within the past two years. The Riverbanks Zoo & Garden is known as one of America’s best zoos drawing one million visitors annually, and the city's Richland Library won the 2017 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation's highest honor of its kind.
The wide variety of neighborhoods in the area allows you to choose the life you’d like, be it affluent suburb, urban high-rise, historic charm, renovated industrial, new construction, lakefront, river view, or farmland. It's all easily commutable to MUSC Columbia, and with the limited traffic in the region you hardly sit still unless at a light or a stop sign.
The area is also home to Fort Jackson, the largest and most active Initial Entry Training Center in the United States Army.
There's so much to see, hear, taste, smell, and DO in this capital city, you'll have to visit to believe it.
Continuous requirements are to perform job functions while standing, walking and sitting. Ability to bend at the waist, kneel, climb stairs, reach in all directions, fully use both hands and legs, possess good finger dexterity, perform repetitive motions with hands/wrists/elbows and shoulders, reach in all directions. Ability to be qualified physically for respirator use, initially and as required. Maintain 20/40 vision corrected, see and recognize objects close at hand and at a distance, work in a latex safe environment and work indoors. Frequently lift, lower, push and pull and/or carry objects weighing 50 lbs (+/-) unassisted, exert up to 50 lbs of force, lift from 36" to overhead 25 lbs. Infrequently work in dusty areas and confined/cramped spaces.
If you like working with energetic enthusiastic individuals, you will enjoy your career with us!
The Medical University of South Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MUSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, age, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by state laws and/or federal regulations. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment based upon applicable qualifications, merit and business need.
Medical University of South Carolina participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees