POSITION TITLE: School Food Service Worker
Recruited By: Executive Director of Human Resources
Recommended for Appointment By: Executive Director of Human Resources/
Executive Director of Support Services
Type of Authority: Line
Reports To: Executive Director of Support Services
Manager of Food Service
Assistant Manager of Food Service
QUALIFICATIONS – PHYSICAL
Is physically able to work in a standing position for prolonged periods and to walk much of
the time during the shift. Is able to stoop, crouch, bend, squat, push/pull and reach to perform
various job duties. Has manual dexterity to handle knives and other pieces of kitchen equipment
such as slicers, mixers, choppers, scoops, and scales.
Is able to lift 35 pounds unassisted and lift 50 pounds with help. Is able to work in warm and cold
surroundings; occasionally extreme conditions. For example, - 10° F stocking freezers and up to
90° F in dish rooms and cooking areas.
QUALIFICATIONS – EDUCATIONAL
High school diploma or equivalency preferred. Demonstrate aptitude and competence for assigned
responsibilities. Ability to perform basic math and understand multi-step written and oral
instructions. Ability to communicate in English with co-workers, students, and building staff.
Knowledgeable in different aspects of food service is preferred.
1. Prepares food according to a planned menu, and follows tested, uniform recipes. Determines
if the finished product is of best quality in both flavor and appearance before it is served.
2. Is able to perform all aspects of food preparation in an efficient and pleasant manner.
3. Responsible for setting up service areas in a timely and orderly manner.
4. Responsible for the cleaning and storing of eating utensils, dishes, glassware, trays, pots,
pans, and preparation equipment and other service kitchen equipment.
5. Assists in the portioning and serving of food items.
6. Assumes responsibility for seeing to it that during meal service periods the supply of food
offered is replenished regularly.
7. Assists in the daily clean up of the kitchen and service areas.
8. Performs cleaning of major equipment, refrigerators and storeroom areas at regularly
scheduled intervals as designated by the cook manager or assistant cook manager.
9. Assists in the proper storage and disposal of unused foods.
10. Is able to operate various pieces of kitchen equipment such as dish machines, slicers,
choppers, ovens, and other cooking equipment.
11. Reports equipment malfunctions to supervisor for repair and replacements.
12. Preforms cashier duties when required.
13. Maintains the highest standards of physical safety.
14. Maintains the highest standards of food safety and sanitation in accordance with
county health department, HACCP, and DCSD’s Food & Nutrition Services standard
15. Understands what a reimbursable breakfast and lunch is under the NSLP & SBP.
16. Ability to work with a wide diversity of individuals together as a part of a team.
17. Commitment to working with the full range of diversity in our community, abiding by
multicultural, gender-fair policies and practices.
18. Loyalty in words and actions to the district and its officials with a positive attitude.
19. Attends in-service training, workshops, etc., for the purpose of gathering information
required to perform job functions.
20. Performs other duties assigned by the Kitchen Manager or Food & Nutrition
Managers as requested.
Please review the attached job description.
Contracted Rate: $14.92 per hour
If applying for a specific school and hours, please indicate in cover letter.
3.5 hr/day, Start/End time - 9:45 AM - 1:15 PM
3.0 hr/day, Start/End time - 10:25 AM - 1:25 PM
5.75 hr/day, Start/End time - 7:45 AM - 2:00 PM
4.5 hr/day, Start/End time - 9:30 AM - 2:00 PM
3.25 hr/day, Start/End time - 10:45 AM - 2:00 PM
4.5 hr/day, Start/End time - 8:45 AM - 1:15 PM
5.0 hr/day, Start/End time - 8:15 AM - 1:45 PM
4.0 hr/day, Start/End time - 9:45 AM - 1:45 PM
2.0 hr/day, Start/End time - 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Table Mound -
2.0 hr/day, Start/End time - 7:15 AM - 9:15 AM