Current employees: Please apply through the employee portal to be considered for this opportunity.
Pay Range:$21.26 - $26.05 Hourly
Job Type:Limited Duration
Exemption Status:United States of America (Non-Exempt)
Closing Date (Open Until Filled if No Date Specified):May 11, 2021
This is a limited duration position and is expected to last 2 years but could end at any time.
This Work Matters!
The Multnomah County Corrections Health Team is looking for a COVID-19 Medical Assistant who desires to perform at the top of their certification giving people in the justice system the best level of protection we can offer.
As the COVID-19 Medical Assistant, you will have the opportunity to work in an environment that provides a lot of flexibility within the structure of your functions. You will learn a lot about what it means to be in a health and delivery team embedded in the legal system. It involves very complex patient profiles and will challenge you to make a lot of considerations leading you to be a creative problem solver and thinker as you look at current trends. You will have a great influence in this pandemic in combating health disparities and providing a service to the vulnerable populations with mental health and medical issues in a setting that is set up against them. We desire someone who understands the effect the legal system has on BIPOC communities and advocates for the highest quality of life for them during the pandemic.
The Medical Assistant provides clinical support to the patient care team of providers and nursing staff in the delivery of direct patient care, prevention of disease, specimen collection, vital signs, dressing changes, finger sticks and assistance in the event of an emergency. This position works as part of a care delivery team and works closely with team members to ensure the delivery of high quality patient care.
The responsibilities of the COVID-19 Medical Assistant includes:
- Supporting clinic flow by direct provider support as needed including rooming patients, ordering labs as directed, giving immunizations and medications as ordered.
- Assisting clinicians/providers with procedures.
- Obtaining vital signs, using appropriate screening tools, and collecting clinical data from patients.
- Preparing patients for exams and procedures, including equipment set-up and specimen collection.
- Performing medical treatment such as simple wound care, ear irrigations, suture removal, fluoride treatments, etc.
- Completing documentation and charting as required by policy.
- Transcribing provider orders in EPIC for Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners.
- Entering treatments for clients in Sapphire, scheduling appointments for clients, adjusting clinic list as needed and contacting community providers for outside records.
- Communicating with the United States Marshal Services to prepare USM clients for weekly transport for both MCDC and MCIJ.
- Ensuring all federal clients have a current PPD or CXR and medication for transport per our contract with them.
- Lab and treatment procedures: phlebotomy, prepare lab tests for delivery to labs, EKGs, dressing changes, etc.
- Coding in labs and x-rays ready for provider chart reviews and ORTHO provider review
- Providing patient education concerning health maintenance, disease prevention, options and services available
- Coordinating, maintaining and ensuring proper tracking of COVID Vaccines and COVID tests
We will consider any combination of relevant work experience, volunteering, education, and transferable skills as qualifying unless an item or section is labeled required. Please be clear and specific about how your background is relevant. For details about how we typically screen applications, review our overview of the selection process page.
Minimum Qualifications/Transferable Skills*:
- An Associate's degree and one (1) year of experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- BLS/CPR certification required
- Must be able to pass a Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Background Check.
- Certification through a nationally recognized Medical Assistant certification program, such as AAMA, AMT, NCCT or CCMA, is required.
Preferred Qualifications/Transferable Skills*: You do not need to have the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills to qualify. However, keep in mind we may consider some or all of the following when identifying the most qualified candidates. Please clearly explain in your application how you meet any of the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills.
- Knowledge of principles, and procedures of record-keeping and reporting.
- Ability to make observations concerning patients' general health conditions.
- Ability to take and record vital signs and perform assigned laboratory tests.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Experience working autonomously and in a team
- Experience providing trauma-informed care
- Demonstrates resilience and thrives in challenging environments
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse communities
*Transferable skills: Your transferable skills are any skills you have gained through education, work experience (including the military) or life experience that are relevant for this position. Be sure to describe any transferable skills on your application and clearly explain how they apply to this position.
Screening and Evaluation:
For details about how we typically screen applications, review our overview of the selection process page. We expect to evaluate candidates for this recruitment as follows. The selection process is subject to change.
Required Application Packet:
- A job application (If you do not address the minimum qualifications your application will be considered incomplete and will not move forward in the recruitment process.)
- A cover letter addressing why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualifications for this position (Answers to Supplemental Questions should be included in your cover letter)
- Certification (must be verified online) Specify which Certification you have (AAMA, AMT, NCCT or CCMA) / What is your Certification number and expiration date.
- Attach a copy of your accredited Medical Assistant training diploma.
Note: The application, resume, and cover letter should clearly demonstrate your work experience/skills and how they relate to the descriptions provided in the ‘Overview’ and ‘To Qualify’ sections of this job posting. Please be thorough, as these materials will be used to determine your eligibility for an interview.
- Internal applicant: If you are an internal candidate (current employee, including on-call, regular, probationary, limited duration, and temporary employee), your job application will consist of the career profile that you complete in Workday. Before you apply, please make sure to do the following:
- Navigate to your profile in Workday (see: employee launch guide) and click on the “Career” section of your profile. Complete all sections of your career profile (Job History, Education, Skills, Languages, Certifications, etc.).
- When completing the application on Workday as an internal candidate, you will need to scroll down to see the “Resume/Cover Letter” section on your screen. This is the place where you may upload your resume and cover letter by clicking the “Upload” button for EACH document you’d like to upload. There will be no other prompts for you to upload your resume and cover letter.
- External applicant: When completing the application on Workday as an external candidate (including volunteers, unpaid interns, contractors, and community partners) through https://multco.us/jobs, you will come to a page where you will see the "Resume/CV" section. This is the place where you may upload your resume and cover letter by clicking the “Upload” button for EACH document you’d like to upload. There will be no other prompts for you to upload your resume and cover letter.
- Do not click the “Submit” button before you upload your documents.
After You Apply:
- Please save a copy of this job posting for your reference, as it will not be available for you to view online after the job posting closes.
- Log in to your Workday account before the job posting closes to see if you have any pending tasks or actions to complete. These can be found under the “My Applications” section. You must complete these tasks or actions before the job posting closes.
- Check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
The Selection Process:
- Initial review of minimum qualifications.
- Evaluation of application materials to identify the most qualified candidates.
- Consideration of top candidates in order of rank and score from the list of eligible candidates. This may include phone interviews, panel interviews, and/or additional exams to determine the best candidates for the position.
- Professional reference checks.
- Multnomah County Sheriff's Background Check
Only apply once for this opportunity.
The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill future full-time, part-time, regular, temporary, limited duration, and on-call positions.
Type of Position: This limited duration, hourly, AFSCME Local 88 union-represented, full-time position is eligible for overtime.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM.
Benefits: Multnomah County offers a generous benefits package. For more information about our benefit offerings, please visit: https://multco.us/benefits/new-employee-benefits
Diversity and Inclusion: At Multnomah County, we don't just accept difference; we value it and support it to create a culture of dignity and respect for our employees.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran or protected veteran status, genetic information and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available for your reference. Multnomah County is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We request priority protected veteran referrals.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans’ preference. Review our veterans’ preference page for details about eligibility and how to apply.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please contact the recruiter below in advance to request assistance. Individuals with hearing or speech impairments may contact the recruiter through the Telecommunications Relay Service by dialing 711.
Phone:+1 (503) 9884624 x84624
Application information may be used throughout the entire selection process. This process is subject to change without notice.
Disclaimer: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.