Safety & Security Coordinator
Pay Grade: 16
Supervisor: Director of Safety & Security
Department: Safety & Security
The Safety & Security Coordinator is responsible for creating and maintaining a safe and secure environment for students, staff, and visitors within the school premises. This position works closely with the Director of Safety & Security to ensure the effective implementation of safety policies, procedures, and programs. In addition to prioritizing safety, the Safety & Security Coordinator supports the mentorship, counseling, and implementation of behavior intervention strategies to promote the overall well-being and growth of students.
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Assist in implementing, monitoring, and enhancing comprehensive safety policies, procedures, and programs to ensure a safe school environment.
- Collaborate with the Director of Safety & Security to supervise, evaluate, and train school safety and security personnel.
- Respond promptly and effectively to safety and security incidents, conducting thorough investigations as necessary.
- Review and update emergency response plans, including evacuation procedures, lockdown protocols, and crisis management strategies.
- Support the establishment and enforcement of safety guidelines and regulations by working with relevant stakeholders.
- Assist with monitoring departmental staff compliance with P.O.S.T. training, Georgia Crime Information Center policies, and state certification requirements.
- Assist in developing and implementing behavior intervention strategies to address student challenges and promote their social and emotional development.
- Collaborate with teachers, administrators, school counselors, and parents to create a supportive environment for students' academic and personal success.
- Support staff in student behavior management and intervention techniques.
- Assist in maintaining and reviewing emergency response plans, including evacuation procedures, lockdown protocols, and crisis management strategies.
- Coordinate with local emergency services to ensure effective response during emergencies.
- Participate in drills, workshops, and seminars to enhance staff preparedness and response capabilities.
- Collaborate with relevant personnel to oversee the monitoring and maintenance of security systems.
- Assist in identifying and recommending security technology upgrades.
- Assist in providing training sessions and workshops to staff members on safety protocols, crisis management, behavior intervention strategies, and student support.
- Foster a culture of safety awareness, empathy, and understanding among staff and students.
- Maintain strong relationships and open lines of communication with school administrators, teachers, students, parents, law enforcement agencies, and community stakeholders.
- Assist in addressing safety concerns, implementing preventive measures, and promoting a cohesive safety culture.
- Support the communication of safety policies, updates, and training materials to the school community.
- Adhere to ethical standards and maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive student information.
- Required to have prompt, regular attendance.
- Perform other assigned duties as required.
- Available on an on-call basis.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. (Master’s degree preferred).
- Possession of a valid Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification in good standing; or the ability to obtain within one year of employment. (A current GA POST professional profile must be submitted as part of the application process with PBLE number attached).
- Five years of experience in law enforcement, juvenile justice, or municipal or private safety and security.
- Previous experience working with students in a school or youth-oriented setting is desirable.
- Valid driver's license; Must submit a current 7-year Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) with the application packet.
- Successful completion of a comprehensive background check, including criminal history investigation, psychological evaluation, polygraph examination, physical assessment, and drug screening.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & ABILITIES:
- Proven experience in school safety, counseling, or a similar student support role.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel, and PowerPoint, or similar software.
- In-depth knowledge of safety protocols, emergency management, and security systems.
- Familiarity with relevant federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to school safety.
- Strong understanding of behavior intervention strategies and counseling techniques.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to remain calm and make sound decisions in high-pressure situations.
- Certification in CPR, first aid, and other relevant safety training is desirable.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and the capacity to train and motivate staff members.
- Customer-focused with a results-driven mindset.
- ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand, walk, and patrol school premises for extended periods.
- Respond quickly and effectively during emergency situations, including running, climbing stairs, and navigating obstacles.
- Lift and carry heavy objects or equipment, if necessary, during emergency response activities.
- Maintain physical stamina and mental alertness during potentially high-stress situations.
- Ability to visually monitor areas using surveillance cameras and other security equipment.
- Adequate hearing and speaking abilities to communicate clearly and effectively with staff, students, and emergency personnel.