Traditional 235 work days
Salary Range: $76,841 - $96,052
Essential Functions and Objectives:
Responsible for maintaining the operational and transactional responsibilities of the department. Manages the coordination of day to day activities of a specific business function. Primary emphasis is achieving results by building engagement and empowering their teams. May have exposure for district wide initiatives.
Responsible for managing the activities of a team of financial analysts. Provide leadership on the review, reconciliation and monitoring of various departmental and grant budgets. Provide guidance and feedback to financial analysts as they prepare monthly budget-to-actual variance reports and provide associated analysis to budget managers and leadership. Train analysts, and review outputs, on complex budget and accounting functions, including journal entries, budget transfers, account reconciliations and account set-up. Monitor department workflow to ensure efficiency of operations.
- Manage and work with respective teams to implement policies, procedures, programs and initiatives that pertain to their functional unit. Set clear goals, organize work plans, and divide work accordingly. Assure adherence to daily operational items, such as budgets, schedules, and performance.
- Apply managerial thinking and decision making to deliver results and ensure project/team success. Provides leadership to teams in their area of responsibility.
- Solve for problems, including defining, tackling and mitigating issues or situations. Map or assess situations, formulate options and provide guidance within a defined latitude.
- Establish targets, analyze performance and follow up to ensure achievement plan is attainable.
- Analyze past trends, identify gaps, and understand district to provide recommendations.
- Work on issues that require thorough analysis; apply discretion for decisions that could impact short term goals. Uses set guidance, policies and procedures to make decisions and address operational challenges.
- Collaborate with other functions, peers and teams. Gain credibility and cooperation across the organization. Convey progress and goal results with functional areas. Conduct trainings, present findings & materials and other deliverables.
- Improves team performance through coaching, feedback and mentoring. Entrust and motivate direct reports by providing direction, and facilitate skill building.
- Manage the work of 2-4 financial analysts as they provide financial analysis and reconcile financial data for budget owners.
- Review and provide feedback to financial analysts on all financial information presented to ensure that the analysis is rigorous, relevant and provides a high level of information to budget managers and leadership.
- Review and approve journal entries and budget transfers, prior to submission, ensuring that they appropriately record financial data for various departmental and grant budgets.
- Develop and document processes and procedures, implement process improvements and retain documentation as required. Train financial analyst staff.
- Develops and implements goals, objectives and work standards for the financial analysts.
- Provide quantitative and qualitative analysis of spending, including variances, available funds and future period forecasts to the Finance Director and other leadership team members.
- Develop and manage a system for tracking district-wide grant matching; ensure that identified expenditures are properly accounted for and adhere to prescribed grant rules.
- Manage the district-wide grant forecasting process; develop and manage a multi-year forecasting view that will guide district leadership and allow for proactive decision-making.
- Works with the Finance Director to ensure that the team is operating in an efficient and effective work environment, is demonstrating enhanced productivity and is achieving team objectives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience & Other Qualifications:
- A minimum of 5-7 years of professional level experience in budgeting, forecasting, modeling and analysis.
- Two (2) or more years of management responsibility.
- Previous experience in either project management, or people management, is desired.
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and written.
- Experience in positions requiring attention to detail, multitasking, and working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- High level of Google Sheets (Microsoft Excel) skills required.
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations.
- Strong organizational and analytic skills and strong attention to detail.
- Self-starter/leader who can anticipate department needs in a proactive (versus, reactive) manner.
- Ability to develop and interpret data and manage resources.
- Ability to motivate and influence others.
- Ability to effectively lead a team.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Google Suite (similar to Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Ability to multi-task and juggle management of several high-priority projects in parallel.
- High degree of integrity in handling confidential information.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, including the ability to lead a high-performing team.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and budget preparation skills are required for the position.
- Ability to effectively communicate various policies and procedures to school staff and department staff.
- Strong attention to detail, with the ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Ability to work within time constraints and deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Strong service orientation and outstanding interpersonal skills coupled with a history of being a relationship builder and valuable business partner.
- Solutions driven and committed to assist the organization in addressing ongoing challenges in professional, creative and unprecedented ways.
- Strong communication and team leadership skills, with the ability to maintain effective working relations with co-workers and those contacted in the course of work.
- Bachelors’ Degree in business administration, accounting, finance or related field.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
The COO Office has a dynamic team of highly experienced people working to maintain the integrity of Denver Public Schools and the accountability of what we do as a team. We strive to meet all of the needs of our schools, Administrative buildings and constituents. The operations team encompasses Facilities, Enterprise Management, Transportation, Technology, School of Choice, Planning and Assessment, Safety and Security, Program Management, Operations Outreach and Engagement, Finance and Operations Support Services. We are the building blocks of the operations side of Denver Public Schools. We stand on our core values Integrity, Accountability, Equity, Collaboration, Fun and of course Students First. There are a lot of opportunities for anyone looking to work in an innovative, caring, and fast paced, growing entity. Come and check out Team DPS.
About Denver Public Schools:
Denver Public Schools is committed to meeting the educational needs of every student with great schools in every neighborhood. Our goal is to provide every child in Denver with rigorous, enriching educational opportunities from preschool through high school graduation. DPS is comprised of nearly 200 schools including traditional, magnet, charter and alternative pathways schools, with an enrollment of more than 90,000 students.
DPS has become the fastest-growing school district in the country in terms of enrollment and the fastest-growing large school district in the state in terms of student academic growth. Learn more at dpsk12.org.
Denver Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.