Exceptional Children Teacher Assistant
Principal/Supervisor and Classroom Teachers
Open Until Filled
NATURE OF WORK:
Under general supervision assists teachers and therapists in daily classroom activities with the care and education of children with mental, physical, and emotional disabilities. Essential functions are fundamental job duties. They do not include marginal tasks which are also performed but are incidental to the primary functions. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position, nor does every position allocated to the class necessarily perform every duty listed. Personal characteristics required of all employees such as honesty, industry, sobriety, and the ability to get along with others, are presumed qualities and may not be listed specifically.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to maintain composure in difficult situations
- Strong verbal/written communication skills in English
- Knowledge of the care and educational needs of individuals with disabilities
- Ability to work with disabled children ranging from 3 to 21 years of age for extended periods of time
- Ability to relate to and interact with disabled children
- Ability to operate data entry equipment and maintain records of children’s progress
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student information
- Ability to work cooperatively with other school personnel.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- Two year Associate’s Degree in Education preferred
- Associate’s Degree required (must include an emphasis in mathematics, reading, writing and content knowledge.)
- Minimum 2.5 GPA required
- ETTP course completion and dated certificate must be obtained within the first school year of employment (to register for ETTP, contact ETTP@onslow.k12.nc.us)
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 months
SALARY: Salary Grade TA56
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Follows all rules, policies, and procedures of OCS, along with state and federal regulations pertaining to school issues.
- Assists in classroom/student management and maintaining discipline.
- Assists students on individual academic assignments.
- Assists children with gross motor activities (grasping, crawling, walking, running, holding objects, etc.)
- Assists children with fine motor activities (playing with toys, cutting, coloring, etc.)
- Assists children with dressing, eating, grooming, toileting, and personal hygiene and other tasks students are unable to perform for themselves.
- Assembles, adjusts, and maintains equipment used in instructional programs.
- Assists therapists and other specialists.
- Assists in recording student behavior, progress, and other related data.
- Performs various clerical duties, as needed: maintains records of student progress; develops and files incident reports; grades student papers and scores tests; checks daily attendance; makes copies; develops classroom displays and instructional materials; operates audiovisual equipment.
- Implements established educational programs; administers and scores tests.
- Constantly monitors the safety and well-being of students in all areas of the school environment.
- Assists students with digital age learning in the classroom.
- Encourages and supports academic growth of students.
- Models and promotes high level of ethical and appropriate behavior.
- Assists with the supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, and field trips; monitors students during lunch, recess, specials, hygiene routines and snack time; if applicable, serves as bus monitor.
- Performs other related duties, as required or assigned by supervisor.
- Ability to be physically active, which includes, but is not limited to, standing, pushing, pulling, squatting, bending, sitting, and walking, including repetitive motions.
- Ability to stand in excess of 6 hours.
- Ability to lift moderate to heavy weight (60 to 100 pounds)
- Must be able to visually, auditorily, and physically monitor student performance and conduct.
- Must be able to facilitate the evacuation of students during emergency situations and/or drills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Onslow County Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities.
I have read and understand the requirements for the position of Exceptional Children Teacher Assistant. I am able to perform all essential functions of this position.
Employee Name (please print)