School of Medicine Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation's top medical schools. Ranked sixth among medical schools in the nation, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve human health locally and around the globe. Composed of more than 2,500 faculty physicians and researchers, more than 1,300 students, and more than 6,000 staff, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing, Duke University Health System and the Private Diagnostic Clinic (PDC) comprise Duke Health. a world-class academic medical center. The Health System encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Job Title: Associate in Research in Data Science
Department: Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, Duke University
Duke University is seeking a full-time Research Associate with strong data analysis skills and experience in working with Electronic Health Records (EHR) and waveform data. The candidate will play a pivotal role in advancing the department's data science projects, creating valuable insights from complex, multidimensional health datasets.
• Analyze skin tone and pulse oximetry data
• Develop and implement data cleaning/wrangling strategies for raw EHR and waveform data to facilitate downstream data analysis.
• Utilize Python and R programming languages for data cleaning, transformation, statistical analysis, and visualization.
• Collaborate with faculty and staff to define research questions, design studies, and develop data collection protocols.
• Apply advanced statistical and data mining techniques to build high-quality prediction systems integrated with our research products.
• Maintain documentation of data management and analysis procedures and outcomes.
• Present findings in written and oral formats; assist in the preparation and submission of academic papers, grants, and reports.
• Stay current on the latest research methodologies and computational tools relevant to health data science.
• Master's degree in Data Science, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, or a related field.
• Minimum of 2 years' experience in data wrangling, preprocessing, and analysis, ideally with EHR and waveform data.
• Proficient in Python and R programming languages.
• Familiarity with SQL and experience with relational databases is highly desirable.
• Proficiency in statistical modeling and machine learning algorithms.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team environment.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines.
• Prior experience in an academic or healthcare setting is highly desirable.
• Knowledge of health data privacy standards, including HIPAA.
Min Degree Requirements: Science related masters degree or terminal degree (e.g. Sc.D., M.D., D.V .M).
Other Requirements: Incumbent must be engaged in scientific research that requires a scientific leadership role, and not employed as a research staff member.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.