Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
Bargaining Unit: Totem
Work Year: 9 months per year
Work Day: 5.5 hours per day
FTE: Part time, 0.6875 FTE
Salary: T-8, $13.97-$15.10 per hour, DOE
The Kindergarten Teacher Assistant assists the classroom teacher with duties related to classroom activities, student supervision. Work involves a variety of clerical tasks and student monitoring. The position has a retirement association with the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS).
The following are required:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and inspire confidence and cooperation of staff, parents, students, administrators, and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional relationship with staff, parents, students, administrators, and the public.
The following are preferred:
- Knowledge of first aid.
- Experience in typing and general clerical work.
- Ability to work with people of all age levels.
- Ability to effectively convey explanations of policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Essential Job Functions
- Prepares class materials at direction of the teacher.
- Sets up class projects using guidelines established by the teacher.
- Handles routine reports needed to complete informational requirements.
- Records grades as assigned by the teacher.
- Checks attendance for assigned classes and assists with discipline for students as required.
- Aids pupils in carrying out routine practice exercises assigned by the teacher, including listening to pupils read.
- Assists with assembling and putting materials on display.
- Assists with supervision of pupils on the school grounds.
- Assists with supervising a student or group of students during lunch and recess periods, both indoors and outdoors.
- Checks objective tests and marks errors, but does not determine final grades.
- Types letters, requisitions, inventories, cards, bulletins, bills, reports, ledgers, stencils, transcripts, tests, notices, and other administrative teacher and student materials.
- Maintains student and teacher files.
- Supports the Anchorage School District’s position of valuing diversity, promoting respect, and maintaining standards of confidentiality.
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking, and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to communicate by oral and written means in an appropriate business manner and have cognitive skills to understand instructions, readily recall facts and details, handle conflict, and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with qualified physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, coworkers, and the public. Employees must also have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check.
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Education | Teaching