This position plays a vital role in the overall success of the business and satisfaction of T-Mobile's customers. Analyzes switch staff requirements in order to maintain the performance of the network to ensure optimal service is provided to T-Mobile's subscribers at all times. Also provides the leadership team with direction; prioritizes workload and resources to meet objectives; proactively maintains the integrity of the network; develops both short-term and long-term goals; oversees project management; actively participates in budget management; and leads major network recovery efforts. This individual is responsible for managing all aspects of switch operations for the assigned market(s). Interacts with all local and regional departments to assist in developing new tools, processes, and planning/scheduling workload execution. Requires a solid leader with well-developed listening skills and who is ultimately accountable to our customers for the results his/her team delivers. Acts as a catalyst in developing and shaping individuals into a motivated team that strives to delight T-Mobile's customers.
What you'll do in your role.
- Manages the switch operations and facilities to provide a highly reliable and efficient network for all T-Mobile customers. Develops methods and procedures for use by switch personnel in accordance with engineering objectives. Determines staffing and resource requirements based on departmental workload. Ensures team members comply with company policies and procedures. Is responsible for hiring and development of technical staff.
- Interfaces with Region and National Network Engineering and Operations teams, Radio Frequency (RF) Engineering, equipment vendors, Field Operations, and the Network Operations Center (NOC), as required, to ensure a properly functioning, highly reliable and efficient network.
- Responsible for the management of market, regional and national nodes in a critical data center environment. Ensures the proper functioning of the AC/DC power systems, HVAC cooling, fire and life safety equipment and alarming for the facility.
- Lead related Disaster Recovery efforts partnering with market, regional, NOC and other support teams to restore network services.
- Manages the projects assigned to the Switch Operations team(s). Also tracks and provides regular updates on the projects to the management team. Ensures the projects are executed in a timely manner.
- Coaches and develops technicians and managers. Determines training needs and implements overall team development plans. Creates bench strength for technical expertise and identifies and develops future leaders.
- Conducts business in an ethical manner in conformance with the T-Mobile policies and values and models that behavior with the team and peers. Ensures team compliance with and adherence to all T-Mobile policies and procedures.
- Promotes fiscal responsibility. Actively manages operational expenses. Assists the management team in effectively formulating Quarterly & Yearly budgetary needs for the Network Operations team, identifying needs and resources of the team and facility.
The experience you'll bring.
- Must have experience with wireless network specific Network Switching Sub-System (NSS), Base Station Subsystem/Radio Access Network (BSS/RAN) and Transport (TDM, SONET, Ethernet/IP) Engineering
- Understands various network Telco, DS1, DS3, Ethernet/IP, SS7, microwave, fiber optics, and copper facilities
- Understands AC/DC Power Systems; HVAC and Data Center Cooling; Fire and Life Safety Equipment; Facility Management
- Capable of directing and leading teams, empowering others, and driving accountability
- Leadership and coaching skills; fosters teamwork and cross-functional cooperation in order to create a positive work environment
- Strong knowledge of troubleshooting techniques
- Working knowledge of overall network architecture and 3GPP mobile network principles
- Ability to create and refine processes and procedures
- Ability to prioritize tasks/activities, adapt to change, and refocus to recover quickly
- Advanced computer skills; proficient in Windows/Unix/Linux operating environments; Microsoft Office, including Excel and PowerPoint; vendor-specific network navigation; T-Mobile systems
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and team development, and negotiation skills; ability to interact with people of varying backgrounds, technical abilities, languages, and cultures; must be able to read and write effectively in English at a business-professional level
- 7+ years technical experience in the telecommunications field required
- 5+ years wireless telecommunications switch operations management experience or supervisory experience required
- 3+ years experience in vendor project management required
- 5+ years experience with GSM/UMTS/LTE/5G systems desired.
- 2+ years experience with Ethernet/IP networking desired.
Bachelors Degree Technical or business discipline or equivalent work experience