Social Studies Teacher
Highland Springs, VA, US
HCPS - Highland Springs High School
Henrico County Public Schools is one of the six largest county public school divisions in Virginia with a nationally recognized educational program. Henrico County is a suburban community surrounding the city of Richmond, VA. We are 104 miles from the Atlantic Ocean to the east; 94 miles from the scenic Sky Line Drive to the west; 106 miles from Washington, D.C. to the north; and 75 miles from the North Carolina border to the south.
Our Mission: Henrico County Public Schools, an innovative leader in educational excellence, will actively engage our students in diverse educational, social, and civic learning experiences that inspire and empower them to become contributing citizens.
General Statement of Duties
IMPORTANT: This position is for the 2023-24 school year, however, candidates who are available for the remainder of the 2022-23 school year are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Plan, organize, and deliver instruction to meet individual and group learning needs utilizing state guidelines and division curriculum.
- Regularly exhibit considerable knowledge of learning theory and best practices.
- Consistently act in the best interests of students and model appropriate behavior in all professional interactions.
The physical demands of this assignment include the ability to sit and stand for extended periods and the ability to lift and move items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Plans daily instructional activities for secondary students, demonstrating knowledge of subject matter and using state Standards of Learning and the curriculum of the district
- Uses current school and division data to plan instruction
- Develops formative and summative tests, using multiple tools to assess student learning on an ongoing basis, and alters instruction to meet group and individual needs
- Maintains order within the classroom and school with proactive classroom management and a well-organized learning environment
- Maintains records of student performance and attendance, and communicates this effectively with students and their parents
- Selects, requisitions, and uses a variety of instructional materials to stimulate learning and meet the needs of all students
- Communicates and coordinates instruction with other staff (special ed, gifted, remediation staff, etc.) relative to student learning
- Stays abreast of current educational trends and best practices as these relate to classroom instruction and effective schools
- Maintains professional manner when interacting with students, parents, patrons, community agencies and colleagues
- Incorporates and models appropriate use of technology to support instruction and student learning
- Performs other duties as assigned
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree and a valid teaching license in the above mentioned curriculum are required.
- Applicants with a Bachelor's degree, relevant college course work and passing Praxis test scores will be considered.
This vacancy is for the 2023-24 school year.
Minimum *** annual starting salary: $50,464.37 Bachelors or $52,886.78 Masters.
*** NOTE: Salary is based on 2022-2023 fiscal budget as the fiscal plan for the 2023-2024 has not yet been finalized/approved.
Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by the school.
How To Apply
To be considered for this vacancy, you should upload three (3) written references, your college transcripts (unofficial copies will suffice at this point), and a copy of your teaching license onto our online application platform located at henricoschools.us/careers/.
Henrico County Public Schools
Department of Human Resources
P. O. Box 23120
3820 Nine Mile Road
Henrico, VA 23223
The School Board of Henrico County is committed to nondiscrimination with regard to sex (including pregnancy), gender, race, color, national origin, disability, religion, ancestry, age, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law (except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification), in employment or in its programs and activities.
Amount of Travel
Work At Home