Duke Chapel Visitor Relations Assistant (part-time). This Part Time position serves as a Chapel representative and primary point of contact for visitors and the Duke community after business hours and on weekends and holidays. The individual will perform the following:
- Greet, direct, inform, and responds to visitor questions
- Communicate effectively as an ambassador of the Chapel and serve as a resource person for visitors and members of the Duke community
- Research subject matter, describe points of interest, and respond to questions.
- Ensure the nave, transepts, chancel, Memorial Chapel, and crypt are tidy and well stocked
- Assist staff and student groups with set-up and clean-up for events, worship services, weddings, concerts, funerals, and rehearsals
- Monitor the entrance to the nave during private events, if group has requested that no tourists be permitted inside
- Answer telephone, screen and refer calls, take messages, and handle inquiries not requiring a supervisor’s attention
- Maintain supply of brochures and other information for visitors
- Be able to conduct a brief tour of the sanctuary
- Compile information regarding visitors to the Chapel
- Monitor visitor activities to ensure compliance with regulations and safety practices; notify visitors who are not in compliance
- Monitor premises for incident prevention and signs of suspicious activity; apply judgment to issues of concern by notifying supervisor and or the Duke University Police Department as the situation warrant
- Be available to respond to emergency situations such as fire or sudden illness of a visitor or event attendee
- Close and lock, or un lock and open the Chapel building
Some lifting and carrying is required. Education or experience in theology, liturgy, or event coordination is strongly preferred. Familiarity with Duke and Durham is a plus. Proficiency in conversational Chinese, Spanish, or other foreign language is also a plus.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Job Code: 00000189 CLERK
Job Level: 04
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome,that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.