Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
Position Title: Teacher
Dubuque Community School District is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an
educational and work environment that is safe and inclusive. Individuals from diverse racial, ethnic, and
cultural backgrounds, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Educational Requirements:
- Valid Iowa Teaching License, Certification Required
- Mandatory training in Child Abuse Reporting
Desirable Experience Requirements:
- One to three years teaching experience, highly desirable
Recruitment and Employment: Chief Human Resources Officer and Principal
Reports to: Principal
Consults with: Principal, staff, and parents
The successful candidate is a student-centered teacher with excellent classroom management skills, is
able to work with students with a wide-range of abilities and interests in the regular classroom and who
can provide evidence of successful collaboration with other adults to make classroom learning an active
and meaningful experience for all students.
Core Teaching Requirements:
Demonstrates competence in content knowledge appropriate to the teaching position.
- Understands and uses key concepts, underlying themes, relationships, and different perspectives
related to the content area.
- Uses knowledge of student development to make learning experiences in the content area
meaningful and accessible for every student.
- Relates ideas and information within and across content areas.
- Understands and uses instructional strategies that are appropriate to the content area.
Demonstrates competence in planning and preparing for instruction.
- Utilizes student achievement data, local standards, and the district curriculum in planning for
- Sets and communicates high expectations for social, behavioral, and academic success of all
- Uses students’ developmental needs, background, and interests in planning for instruction.
- Selects strategies to engage all students in learning.
- Uses available resources, including technologies, in the development and sequencing of
Uses strategies to deliver instruction that meet the multiple learning needs of students.
- Uses research-based instructional strategies that address the full range of cognitive levels.
- Aligns classroom instruction with local standards and district curriculum.
- Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness in adjusting instruction to meet student needs.
- Engages students in varied experiences that meet diverse needs and promote social, emotional,
and academic growth.
- Connects students’ prior knowledge, life experiences, and interests in the instructional process.
- Uses available resources, including technologies, in the delivery of instruction.
Uses a variety of methods to monitor student learning.
- Aligns classroom assessment with instruction.
- Communicates assessment criteria and standards to all students and parents.
- Understands and uses the results of multiple assessments to guide planning and instruction.
- Guides students in goal setting and assessing their own learning.
- Provides substantive, timely, and constructive feedback to students and parents.
- Works with other staff and building and district leadership in analysis of student progress.
Demonstrates competence in classroom management.
- Creates a learning community that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement, and
self-regulation for every student.
- Establishes, communicates, models, and maintains standards of responsible student behavior.
- Develops and implements classroom procedures and routines that support high expectations for
- Uses instructional time effectively to maximize student achievement.
- Creates a safe and purposeful learning environment.
Engages in professional growth.
- Demonstrates habits and skills of continuous inquiry and learning.
- Works collaboratively to improve professional practice and student learning.
- Applies research, knowledge, and skills from professional development opportunities to improve
- Establishes and implements professional development plans based upon the teacher needs aligned
to the Iowa Teaching Standards and district/building student achievement goals.
Fulfills professional responsibilities established by the school district.
- Adheres to board policies, district procedures, and contractual obligations.
- Demonstrates professional and ethical conduct as defined by state law and individual district policy.
- Contributes to efforts to achieve district and building goals.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and respect for all learners and staff.
- Collaborates with students, families, colleagues, and communities to enhance student learning.
- Ability to lift, push and pull up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk and climb stairs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Experience and/or desire working with diverse group of students
- Model to students and peers a commitment to appropriate public behavior toward all students,
workplace, colleagues and the public
Two vacancies: Jefferson & Washington
Requires Strategist I endorsement
Education | Teaching