Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
Bargaining Unit: ACE
Work Year: 205 days per year OR 230 days per year, 12 contract payments
Work Day: 8 hours per day
FTE: Full time, 1.0 FTE
Salary: ACE 7
The Student Nutrition Coordinator consistently applies Student Nutrition policies and procedures in the school cafeterias. The position has a retirement association with the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS).
The following are required:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of experience with employee supervision, training, staff development, and assessment involving responsibility for planning and implementing evaluation of work.
- Ability to plan, organize, and supervise the work of others.
- Proficiency in and experience working with Microsoft Office.
- Scheduling skills such as timeline development, planning, and reporting.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with a broad diversity of students, staff, other Anchorage School District personnel, and the public.
The following are preferred:
- A bachelor’s degree in institutional management, business, nutrition, or a related area.
- Previous management experience in a large scale food service operation.
- Knowledge of nutritional value of different foods and ability to plan appetizing menu items.
- Knowledge of and ability to articulate Anchorage School District menu choices.
Essential Job Functions
- Supervises school-based personnel.
- Assures regulations pertaining to sanitation and food safety practices are observed and maintained. Responsible for all safe food handling and safety issues in assigned area.
- Provides verbal and written information, work directives, conference summary reports, and documentation materials on a consistent basis.
- Ensures smooth function of standardized cafeteria operations and provides appropriate training in conjunction with program objectives.
- Provides written and verbal reports regarding managers' progress, meal participation, menu popularity, and any related areas in sites assigned.
- Assesses individual sites and makes recommendation for program enhancement.
- Evaluates cafeteria staff, assures staff is given job expectations at school start-up, provides mid-year performance conferences, and assures that direct reports who supervise others comply to all aspects of orientation and evaluation criteria.
- Responsible for timely submittal of monthly food and supply inventories, food orders, production records, petty cash, bank deposits, and any required paperwork to the Student Nutrition office. Assures that cash receipts are properly balanced and transmitted.
- Works with managers to assure that job expectations are clearly defined and understood, procedures and department guidelines met, and objectives accomplished.
- Maintains small and large equipment inventory and makes recommendations for replacement and/or upgrades.
- Maintains record keeping required for school programs, including progress reports to staff.
- Makes recommendations for program improvement and enhancement.
- Completes onsite evaluations regularly to assure compliance to federal, state, and municipal codes.
- Works with all levels of food service employees, both new and long-term, to provide program consistency.
- Dispatches substitute employees, coordinates leave requests, provides extra help personnel as deemed appropriate and coordinates filling of vacancies.
- Conducts and evaluates employee orientation process for both new employees and transferring staff.
- Works will the program supervisor to meet existing and anticipated training needs of the department food service workers.
- Communicates with trainees regularly, in writing and verbally, to provide information regarding individual progress and status within the program.
- May be responsible for menu development and maintenance of menu analysis.
Physical /Mental Demands
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to understand vague and implicit instructions, be able to readily recall facts and details, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with a qualified physical or mental disability.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District (ASD) employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This also includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, co-workers, and the public; as well as have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check. For certificated positions, this is in addition to the background check conducted through the certification process with the Alaska State Department of Education and Early Development (DEED).
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit the government REAL ID website for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an equal employment opportunity employer.