Job Description SummaryThe Certified Medical Assistant or LPN is responsible for quality patient care under the direction of a physician or licensed healthcare provider in a clinical practice. Duties to include rooming patients, taking vitals and health history, documenting in an electronic medical record, giving injections and assisting with minor procedures.
MUSC Health Charleston Division has received the nationwide distinction of Newsweek's Best Hospitals 2021 - United States. MUSC is committed to a culture that fosters new ideas and values impact.
EntityUniversity Medical Associates (UMA) Only Employees and Financials
DepartmentCC000243 MUSCP | CHS - Administration - Ambulatory General Care
Pay Rate TypeHourly
Scheduled Weekly Hours40
Work ShiftDay (United States of America)
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates care and functions as a liaison between registration staff and clinical staff to facilitate the efficient flow of patients throughout the system. Rooms patients, taking vitals and health history.
- Confers with physicians regarding need, urgency, and appropriateness of visits, if needed. Assesses and reviews physician orders to assist with scheduling patients in a timely fashion.
- Documents all patient care activities in the electronic medical record to include disposition of patient telephone calls, medication list, etc. Generates ancillary requests updates medicines as needed in EMR (electronic medical record).
- Gives injections and assists with minor procedures.
- Participates in performance improvement /research activities designed to improve patient care, and/or organizational processes.
- May be asked to assist with front and clinical areas in the absence of other staff.
Physical Requirements: Continuous requirements are to perform job functions while standing, walking and sitting. Ability to bend at the waist, kneel, climb stairs, reach in all directions, fully use both hands and legs, possess good finger dexterity, perform repetitive motions with hands/wrists/elbows and shoulders, reach in all directions. Ability to be qualified physically for respirator use, initially and as required. Maintain 20/40 vision corrected, see and recognize objects close at hand and at a distance, work in a latex safe environment and work indoors. Frequently lift, lower, push and pull and/or carry objects weighing 50 lbs (+/-) unassisted, exert up to 50 lbs of force, lift from 36” to overhead 25 lbs. Infrequently work in dusty areas and confined/cramped spaces.
*Signing bonus for external MUSC Enterprise applicants only.
Additional Job Description
CMA Required Minimum Training and Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Completion of an accredited medical assisting program with one year of patient care experience preferred.
LPN Minimum Training and Education: Graduation from a recognized Licensed Practical Nursing program and licensed as an LPN within the State of South Carolina or with a compact state license.
CMA Required Licensure, Certifications, Registrations: Must be certified through American Medical Technologist (AMT), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), National Healthcareer Association (NHA), National Association of Healthcare Professionals (NAHP), Medical Career Assessments (MedCA), Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA), or National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT). Current BLS required.
LPN Required Licensure, Certifications, Registrations: Current South Carolina LPN License or compact state license. Current BLS required.
If you like working with energetic enthusiastic individuals, you will enjoy your career with us!
The Medical University of South Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MUSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, age, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by state laws and/or federal regulations. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment based upon applicable qualifications, merit and business need.
Medical University of South Carolina participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees