Job Title: Reserve/Substitute Teacher - Candidate Pool (2021-2022 School Year) *New Higher Rates of Pay* and Requisition ID number: 76667
Close Date: No established closing date; open until filled
Organizational Unit: Reserve Teachers (10000275)
Site: Citywide School Support (0002)
FTE: Varies; this is based on full-time equivalency with 1.0 being full time
Union: Sub/Reserve Teacher(33)
Functional Area: Teaching
Resume and Cover Letter are mandatory to apply for any position.
Make Learning Possible for Students Every Day!
Become a MPS Reserve/Substitute Teacher
Support Schools and Positively Impact Students Lives
Start Your Teaching Career Making $192 - $216 Per Day
Further Your Teaching Career Making $204 - $216 Per Day
*requirements for pay outlined below
As a valued member of the District, reserve teachers are responsible for providing continuity of student instruction, maintaining the safety of students in a respectful environment, and working collaboratively with district staff.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours.
Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Teach all classes and complete extra duties as assigned.
- Supervise students at all times.
- Complete the lesson plan provided by the teacher.
- Enforce the rules of the school and classroom.
- Straighten the classroom at the end of the assignment.
- Report to the classroom teacher about student behavior and progress.
- Acquire knowledge of the goals of the Minneapolis Public School District Improvement Agenda and site/school goals. Work to support and achieve those goals.
- Create lessons and learning environments that are safe, respectful and interesting as well as multicultural/gender and ability fair/developmentally appropriate. Select, adapt and individualize materials appropriate for diverse student populations and skill levels.
- Teach students the required curricula using strategies that foster thinking, reasoning and problem solving.
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with families in making educational decisions and use family and community resources to support learning.
- Assess students’ developmental, cognitive and social needs and provide developmentally appropriate instruction to meet those needs.
- Regularly assess student learning by using multiple forms of assessment.
- Facilitate positive interactions between students and teacher, student and peers and student and other adults.
- Model learning and behavior consistent with the expectations for students.
- Collaborate with peers to develop, plan and implement best practices based on the needs/abilities of the students.
- Participate in site-based management and shared decision-making.
- Always keep the students’ needs and rights first and foremost in any educational decision-making.
- Have a working knowledge of and implement the Minnesota State Standards and the District Graduation Requirements.
SHORT CALL RESERVE - Rate of Pay: $24 per hour; Daily rate: $192
- A valid Minnesota teaching license in any content area or a valid short-call license.
- Prior successful experience in urban, multicultural education desirable.
- Demonstrates continued professional development through course work, research, peer collaboration and/or job-embedded staff development.
- Working knowledge of the subject matter, classroom management techniques, current researched best practices and strategies, as well as students’ learning styles and needs, both academic and affective.
LONG CALL RESERVE - Rate of Pay: $25.50 per hour; Daily rate: $204
A Long Call Reserve is a Reserve Teacher who holds a standard MN teaching license (tier 2 - 4)and can sub for a long-term absence.
Below listed are the key contract terms and conditions for a Long Call Reserve:
An assignment of fifteen (15) consecutive duty days or more.
In order to be eligible for a long call assignment, you must be licensed in the subject you are teaching.
There is no pay for Thanksgiving, winter, or spring break. Long call subs will be paid for staff development days if they are required to work.
Long Call subs will be granted one (1) day of sick leave for every twenty (20) consecutive duty days in the assignment during the school year.
If the assignment is at least one semester (90 school days) or more, the long call sub is eligible to purchase single medical coverage. The school site may or may not pay for all or part of the insurance cost. If the school does not pay for the insurance, the sub is responsible for paying the entire cost (employee and employer portions) for the insurance.
CADRE RESERVE - Rate of Pay: $27/hour; Daily Rate: $216
A Cadre Reserve is another special classification of Reserve Teacher that reports directly to the manager of the Reserve Desk. Cadres can only accept assignments on a last-minute basis, in order to fill assignments that have not been accepted by short call reserves. A Cadre can only accept assignments the morning of the absence. In addition, there are certain restrictions placed upon the assignments Cadre Reserves can accept. A Cadre does not always have a choice of where or what type of class they are assigned to. They must be willing to fill any given assignment in the district on any duty day. In the event there are no open assignments, a Cadre will be assigned by the Reserve Desk to a school site to provide assistance as directed by the site administrator.
Reserve Cadres are required to work every day up to fifteen (15) days in the same classroom. Reserve Cadres are crucial positions as they provide support to the building while they look to find a Long Call Reserve for a long-term absence. Below you will find more detailed information about these positions.
To qualify for a cadre position, a valid Minnesota teaching licensure in any content area or a valid short-call license having well rounded experience in the majority of our schools and grade levels and have subbed for our district for at least one (1) year.
Cadre positions are benefit eligible; earn nine (9) paid sick days per year*, single medical coverage at a reduced cost pursuant to the teacher’s contract, and the option to purchase dental insurance.
Cadres will be required to work every duty day during regular school week (Monday-Friday) and in accordance with the MPS school year calendar.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in a standard classroom environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier material with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage.
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allows us to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender or gender identity, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation, age, family care leave status, or veteran status.
Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.
Posting Notes: | [No Established Closing Date] | Reserve Teachers (10000275) | Citywide School Support (0002) | Teaching